Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Grue Man Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post
I liked Land Of The Dead, but I wouldnt go so far as to call it Romero's best effort to date. Still, I feel like I'm in the minority for enjoying it. Oh well.
I liked Land as well. But best effort? Me thinks not.--Charles T.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Resurrected

I forgot to add something to my review of the flick.

I thought it was what Planet Terror should have been.

Discuss.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Invincible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsense View Post
I forgot to add something to my review of the flick.

I thought it was what Planet Terror should have been.

Discuss.
British?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallix View Post
British?
Naw, more like an exciting throwback to 80s action flicks.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Resurrected

I laughed way more in Doomsday.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Post-Apocalyptic Scavenger

Saw it on Friday night - what a fun little movie it turned out to be. Non-stop action, several genres and sub-genres morphed together to make what has been the best night out at the movies I've had this year! (so far). My friends and I decided seeing a week after would mean possibly less of a crowd and better seats, we were incorrect. Theatre was just about full, and while we did end up getting there early and got good seats, a lot of people were not so lucky, (to my surprise because it was 18A and the later show)...

Loved the first 1/4 of the movie until the "punks" show up the most, but the rest of the film was definitely a hell of a roller coaster ride. I didn't think that there would be as much on-screen gore, but I guess the hard-R rating (not 14-A) should've tipped me off. Loved seeing nothing being held back (and having to wait for the unrated DVD to get all the good stuff). Some great mixes of Resident Evil, Mad Max, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Gladiator and a ton of others together into what I would describe as a full-circle horror/sci-fi/action movie experience...

Seems others have thought the same, and I didn't want to even open this post once the movie would've started being seen by people to find out anything about it. I enjoy the blind entry into a movie by someone that I respect as a director, because then I have a blank canvas to look forward to, (and one hell of a bloody picture Marshall has painted!)...Even with some of the continuity issues and some just funny dialogue/actors, it just had to many plus' to even think about any of the shortcomings.

A great movie to see with friends, as everyone in the theatre I was in was cheering at some key parts. Really had a lot of people in stitches with some of the gags - the cow scene in particular...The scene was done, they had explained what it was that happened, but yet they still needed to pan down to show the carnage. Completely gratuitous and completely appreciated!

So Planet Terror huh? I actually liked that movie as it was, (even though I liked Death Proof more of the 2 flicks). I thought the 80's action flicks throwback was what they were (sorta) going for, but just didn't hit it on the head. I guess because of all the 70's "Grindhouse" bits they were trying to manufacture, it didn't play out the same way. I found that Planet Terror was much more of a comedy/action/horror hybrid, and while Doomsday had entertainment comedy as part of some of the whacky plot bits, I don't think it was tongue/cheek...It was the same seriousness as Mad Max was, something that's entertaining but amusing at the same time. Planet Terror, I found had a lot more thrown in specifically for the over-the-top-absurdity...That's just me though.

The Collection
Old 03-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombi View Post
I don't think it was tongue/cheek.
Really? I smelled the camp from the very first voice over and joined in on the ride. Even Mad Max and its sequels had its tongue in its cheek, but that didn't diffuse any serious elements. The Road Warrior is an amazing, important move for so many reasons.

ROH im not sure what you mean about certain scenes turning off audiences. You mean as it effected word of mouth advertizing? Because they have to pay to get in to get turned off, and by that point, the theatre has their money.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Tour Guide of the Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsense View Post
Because they have to pay to get in to get turned off, and by that point, the theatre has their money.
Not entirely true.

Most theatres these days have a grace period. All Cineplex theatres in Canada do - if you request a refund within 30 minutes of the start time of the movie (so, after all the previews and commercials and the opening credits) they will grant one.

So if a lot of people walk out - assuming they know the policy - the theatre is giving them money back.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Resurrected

Ah right, I forgot about that. I've never actually taken the theatres up on that policy, but I know it exists.

If people are gonna walk out of Doomsday, the 1st 1/2 hour gives them plenty of reason to do it.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Autopsied

I saw it on Saturday with my mom, and it really wasn't what I expected.

I really did like the fact that Marshall gave you two worlds: Punk and medival (and I love that Little Alex is leading it!) and I thought it was really well done, especially the car chases and what not. Plus, I didn't think that there was going to be so much gore, and seeing a man burn alive, but I liked it all the same. THough I have to say it's not for those who love animals =p
Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampira View Post
THough I have to say it's not for those who love animals =p
My girlfriend is especially fond of bunnies. oops!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Autopsied

Dude, no one can be tougher than Ellen Ripley! But I thought that she's tough enough
Old 03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Embalmed

So on the way into see this I ran into a friend who said it sucked and that we could call him later and he'd say "I told ya so!"....

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

I loved it!!! Action! Gore! Car chases! Street chases! Gladiator fights! Kick ass chicks! End of the world by crazy disease!! Fuckin awesome!!!

I know the things that people didn't like: the two different groups of survivors behind the wall & the ridiculous punk rock cannibal bar-b-que. I think both of these things would happen in real life.

It makes sense that there would be different groups of survivors with different ways of survival. Yes, a little over the top, but I could see it.

The punk rock cannibal bar-b-que would happen! I went to a punk rock gathering in Eugene, OR many years ago, and lets just say it got a bit outta hand. A bunch of assholes were beating, robbing, raping, you name it. A bunch of BULL SHIT basically. So a bunch of punks cannibalizing others is actually VERY realistic. I don't know if there would be a River Dance stage show but the rest... yes.

Bottom line... this movie rocks!! I love Neil Marshall!!!

www.myspace.com/xfollowingseax
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Embalmed

I love Doomsday! This film is an absolute blast from start to frantic, fantastic finish! It's got everything that I love about movies (action, gore, dirt bikes!), and then some (Pertwee!)! Neil Marshall is three for three and I honestly think Doomsday is his finest achievement yet. Just a refreshing, wonderfully violent tale of post-apocalyptic carnage and mayhem! Possibly my favorite film of the decade; go see this in the theater, pronto!

My Countdown to Halloween, 2011

My Countdown to Halloween, 2012

My Countdown to Halloween, 2013
Old 03-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Embalmed

Send a message via Yahoo to Wrathbone13
In true 80s style, I have to say Doomsday was GNARLY! Gory, action-packed, and thrilling. My only complaint is this: how the hell did the movie go from being Escape from New York to Army of Darkness to The Road Warrior? The whole sudden transition of settings was a bit confusing, but all in all this was a great movie...proof that Marshall is one of the next auteur directors.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Entombed

yeah I saw this film just this past saturday and I thought it was a fun film to wsatch I especially like her fake eye camera and the action sequence at the end of the film. Both Bob Hoskins and Malcom McDowell where excellent as the chief of police and King of medieval tribe. I would give this movie 5 out of 5. Cheers. :cheers:
Old 04-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Autopsied

I went to see this today and thought it was a fun movie. Yes, it did require quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, but so did Road Warrior, and it was very much an updated Road Warrior type movie. I think a lot of the mohawk punks vs the King Arthur/Vlad medieval group, and the isolation of Scotland had a lot of allegorical, social, political, and historical meaning to those in the UK that serves to add confusion to North Americans more than anything. If I were British or Scottish or Irish I'd probably relate to a lot of those things which are pretty well lost on me... although I understand enough about the UK that I recognized a lot of "inside jokes", even if I didn't quite get them.

I probably won't buy this movie or feel the need to watch it again, but I'm glad I saw it and didn't feel it was a waste of time or money by any means.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Videodrome

Saw this one the other night and have taken a few days to sort out my reaction to it. Somehow, I think it's simultaneously Neil Marshall's worst movie and one of the best B-Grade (are there any other kind?) post-apocalyptic flicks I've ever seen.

I was disappointed that Marshall really didn't bring anything new to this genre at all. As others have said, it's just a mash-up of all the great post-apocalypse films that have come before. The characters are extremely thinly drawn, and the movie whips around from one idea to the next with such force and speed that I ended up thinking it was all a bit hollow. I wish Marshall would have spent more time on each segment, further fleshing out the film's world.

Still, wishing that a movie was longer is never really an entirely bad thing, and I must give credit to him for having the balls to do this kind of flick in the first place. I loved the punks, the knights, the gore, the hot leading lady, the supporting cast and the truly excellent car chase finale.

Mr. Marshall hasn't topped his prior work with Doomsday. But he has made a very nice looking, gory and enthusiastic homage to one of my very favorite types of trash cinema, and more so than other Western genre director, I can't wait to see what he does next.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Mortician

It says on the DVD cover that it is Unrated, but on the back it says it's rated R. What's the story there?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage of Heroes View Post
It says on the DVD cover that it is Unrated, but on the back it says it's rated R. What's the story there?
I noticed that too which is why I didn't buy it.

The Skull Ring!!

The Skull Ring-Kindle Edition
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Entombed

It has both the Unrated and R-rated versions on there. That's why it's listed as both.

Also, save your money......it's pretty fucking terrible IMO.

If you were interested you could read my review of it here.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Autopsied

i didnt understand why it went from mad max to medieval times dinner and tournament.. i thought this movie was horrible.. and im surprised cuz i love gore, i love action, and i love cheese.. but this movie did nothing for me.. especially during the medieval part.. like honestly.. wtf? so disappointed.. so very very disappointed
Old 08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Autopsied

the main chick was hard tho.. i thought she did awesome!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Man Whore

I finally saw the unrated version the other night and I had fun with it. There's plenty of action and gore and yes, it does require a large amount of "suspension of disbelief." Sure, it's no Road Warrior, but what is?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Resurrected

It's not too bad of a movie, but it's something that I really don't see myself buying anytime soon.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Resurrected

I'll be buying a copy of this real soon. It's not Marshall's best work, but it's a hell of a great ride.

Have to admit, my heart was racing during a few of the chase scenes, especially the one in the rail yard. However, I expected the movie to loose steam soon after that. After beheading one of the lead villains, what was left?

So when the executioner showed up as a black knight on horseback,, I was grinning with anticipation. Basically, by switching genres, Marshall found a great way to keep the movie rolling in an unexpected, yet reasonable, direction.

Unfortunately, it's also the most likely reason the movie failed in the theaters. Marshall probably lost members of the audience expecting another version of Mad Max and unwilling to allow such a switch. That and the gore, which, for some reason, seems to be the kiss of death nowadays.

I found Doomsday to be an unexpected gem. If this is Marshall's worst movie, then he can do no wrong in my books.

My 31 Days of Halloween 2012
My pathetic 31 Days of Halloween 2011
My 31 Days of Halloween 2010.
My 31 Days of Halloween 2009.

Visit my blog, Shadow over Portland, for news of horror movies and events in the Pacific Northwest and beyond.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Darkness Personified

I enjoyed both Dog Soldiers and The Descent and so I was more than a little disappointed that this film was such a blatant rip-off of Escape from New York, The Mad Max trilogy and a dollop of 28 Weeks Later. The film is almost a complete waste of time and effort. Rhona Mitra doesn't help, she is as dull as ditch water and the whole mess deserved to go straight to DVD (which it did here).
That the good citizens of Glasgow might quickly revert to cannibalistic barbarism is not implausible to me having met a few and seen for myself what they are prepared to eat.
I did think Lee-Anne Liebenburg was cute though, too bad she lost her head.

The Goat of Mendes! The Devil Himself!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Invincible

After watching Doomsday on DVD, the movie is still is much of a fun ride as it was in the theatre. I doubt anyone's mind will be changed about this movie with a second viewing. It's nothing original but it's still a good time.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Darkness Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallix View Post
I doubt anyone's mind will be changed about this movie with a second viewing. It's nothing original but it's still a good time.
I actually just found the film more enjoyable the second time around though it really was just a pastiche of other films.

The Goat of Mendes! The Devil Himself!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
King of the Juggalos

It's a favourite around the frightfest circle (mainly due to neil marshall, his lovely wife Axelle Carolyn being like family to the organisers and all but one of his films being shown at frightfest). Sean pertwee always warms the soul whenever he's on screen even in the smallest role and a "running joke" that always comes up at every Q and A frightfrest has when he is in attendance is-

'So, how are they going to kill you in your next film then sean?'

And they always find a new way to do it and make it enjoyable!

"The thing is so hot that I can only describe eating it as feeling like "Satan just came in my mouth."

'I speak nothing but the fucking english language, and if that's infamous, then huh huh huh.
tough titters!'

'If your going to make a movie, then have lots of violence, have lots of gore and have lots of sex. Scare people, use the internet. People haven't really learnd how to use this yet. Do something different.' John waters