Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Rue Morgue Office Manager

The Cabin In The Woods (2012)

THE CABIN IN THE WOODS (2012)
Directed by Drew Goddard

This one's been sitting on the shelf for a while, generating some pretty solid word-of-mouth and Lionsgate's getting ready to release it next year.

This has me intrigued.
"...man as part of a movement or a crowd is indifferent to me. He is inhuman. And I have nothing to do with nations, or nationalism. The only feelings I have,for what they are,are for men as individuals; my loyalties, such as they may be, are to private persons alone."

Patrick O'Brien, "Master and Commander"

http://ronniemick.deviantart.com/
Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 PM
B-Movie Connoisseur

That looks absolutely interesting
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Sir Loin of Beef

Heh, at first I was pretty underwhelmed. Group of friends, doing the "in" thing that never was by going off the grid. I mean, who at their age is dying to get away (although, one could argue that they've been on much longer than my generation).

Then...WHAM. Coolness. Whedon strikes. Me likey.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Deceased

This reminds me of the Evil Dead
Old 04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Embalmed

Interesting story I guess...I'm not sold on this one though. This would be an afternoon, nothing to do, sit down and watch it on Sci-Fi first type of film.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Invincible

Online buzz is overwhelmingly positive. I'd like to see it but I worry that it's becoming over-hyped.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Man Whore

Looks like a rental for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Mortician

This movie better have the most mind-blowing twist in the history of films since they pretty much give away a good twist in the trailer.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Tank. Mike Tank.

The Cabin In The Woods (2012) - In Theaters Friday

Starring Richard Jenkins (Let Me In), Bradley Whitford, Kristen Connolly (the upcoming The Bay), Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and Anna Hutchison.

Written by Joss Whedon (creator of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") and Drew Goddard (Cloverfield).

Directed by Drew Goddard.

Lionsgate. MPAA Rating: R

Opens Friday, 04/13 in theaters everywhere.

Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods. Bad things happen.

At long last, Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard's genre-bender hits theaters, after being shelved for nearly 2 years by Lionsgate for no discernible reason.

The Cabin In The Woods was shot, edited, and ready to go long before co-star Chris Hemsworth was swinging the blockbuster hammer of Thor. Usually when a film's release gets delayed repeatedly, it spells trouble. Either the film is a real turkey, or the studio is having major financial woes and cannot afford to launch a proper marketing campaign (ala that other pre-superhero Hemsworth vehicle, MGM's still-in-limbo redux of Red Dawn).

But neither scenario applies here. Advance word by both critics and fans lucky enough to catch a sneak preview has been insanely enthusiastic about this clever, twist-laden take on the usual "teens trapped in the woods" slasher cliches. So anyone's guess as to why the hold up from Lionsgate is as good as mine.

For horror fans, this film has become quite the event. Whedon and Goddard have apparently crafted a film that promises to be full of surprises and shocks, with a healthy dash of Whedon's trademark wit added to the whole bloody stew. Those who have seen it are thankfully remaining tight-lipped about giving away too many plot points, so as not to spoil whatever is in store for the rest of us.

I, personally, am excited for this. I count myself amongst the Whedon faithful, and will definitely be checking it out ASAP.

Here's hoping that it's the big-time thrill ride that all the hype has promised.

Happy Hunting,

TANK

"High School Honor Student By Day. Hollywood Hooker By Night."
Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Talk Without Rhythm

Send a message via MSN to El Goro
I'm planning on seeing it Monday since my theater does $5 ticket + free small popcorn on Mondays. I'm hoping it's good, but I've been burned by Whedon in the past.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Entombed

I'll wait and see people's reaction. I won't rush for the opening week-end to avoid the flood of teens. The reviews I've read were all very positive.

I'm curious to see if it's the kind of film you better watch alone in your sofa or in a crowded room.

I did not watch any trailer, I rarelly do for horror films.

31 days of Halloween 2012
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Resurrected

I just saw this on the big screen and let me tell u board members THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!! The HYPE is not big enough!!

I BELIEVE RIGHT NOW THIS MAY BE THE BEST NORTH AMERICAN HORROR FILM OF THE DECADE!!!

Don't walk, run to the theaters people!! Let's support a brilliant film!!!

Without giving too much away, I would describe this as a cross of Evil Dead (1981) and Peckinpah's The Osterman Weekend (1983) with a good heaping of Brian DePalma as well as hundreds of horror movie references thrown in for good measure. We will watch this movie more then twice, definitely. The film isn't a cheesy mash-up like other low brow directors do today, this storyline is brilliant and stands up on it's own. Joss Whedon is without a doubt probably the best of the new breed of film makers. His work is always smart, original and highly entertaining. When was the last horror film that had you totally rooting for the protagonists from the get go? This film has all the hallmarks of a classic film!! My only knock is of course, the digital blood, but when u see the scenes it appears in, it is not that big a deal. I think my favorite thing about this film, like the new Roger Corman Documentary, is the films politics!! As far as it's story meaning, it is totally the opposite of the horrible Scorsese film Shutter Island!!
I fucking love this film!!!!

BRAVO WHEDON & GODDARD!!!

THE CABIN IN THE WOOD is my pick for best film of 2012!!

(until the new Alien or new Cronenberg or new Cosarelli film comes out...)

Now to head back to the theater to see it again!!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Tank. Mike Tank.

The creators and cast of this week's critically and fan acclaimed horror romp THE CABIN IN THE WOODS give their picks for the movies that scared them the most.

And there's not a bum pick in the bunch!

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2048...586817,00.html

"High School Honor Student By Day. Hollywood Hooker By Night."
Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 PM
B-Movie Connoisseur

great to hear!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Embalmed

Send a message via AIM to Ashley O
I saw it last night and I loved it!! I'm keeping totally zipped about it to everyone because I don't want to give anything away. It did remind me of a film that was made in 2001 and had nothing to do with a cabin... but I won't say which film. What I will say is, GO SEE THIS MOVIE!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Grumpy Quatrogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tank View Post
The creators and cast of this week's critically and fan acclaimed horror romp THE CABIN IN THE WOODS give their picks for the movies that scared them the most.

Well, I thought The Sixth Sense was shit, and I assume the inclusion of The Iron Lady was a painful attempt at a joke.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMort View Post
I just saw this on the big screen and let me tell u board members THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!! The HYPE is not big enough!!

I BELIEVE RIGHT NOW THIS MAY BE THE BEST NORTH AMERICAN HORROR FILM OF THE DECADE!!!

Don't walk, run to the theaters people!! Let's support a brilliant film!!!
Wow. Even better than INSIDIOUS?

Anyway, with that ringing endorsement, I'm gonna make a point of seeing it in the theatres this week.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Darkness Personified

I think we are getting this in theaters in July...what do a few more months matter eh? And they wonder why people download movies and TV shows.

You'll enjoy Mr. Barlow. And he'll enjoy you.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Deceased

I'm pretty excited to see this based on the previews. Before reading this thread I already had a good vibe that it was more than just the typical "teens in the cabin gorefest".
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Bibliognost of the Holocaust

I was skeptical about this one since I've been burned by every damned horror movie I've seen in the theater in recent memory, but the response has been overwhelmingly positive! Interest piqued.

Even LaMort is on board? He hates everything Or were you being sarcastic with all those caps and exclamation points...?

The first rule of Book Club is TELL EVERYONE ABOUT BOOK CLUB!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 AM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli Hooker View Post
Even LaMort is on board? He hates everything Or were you being sarcastic with all those caps and exclamation points...?

I's is serious to the point i went and saw it again, while taking a break from Shock Stock and it was even better on the second screening. Seriously love this film, it's more nihilistic then all zombie's and Aja'a films combined, but it has a very positive message. Yes i seriously think this film is quite good. SERIOUSLY.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Resurrected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gore-met View Post
Well, I thought The Sixth Sense was shit, and I assume the inclusion of The Iron Lady was a painful attempt at a joke.
I thought The Descent was pretty lame too....
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I's is serious to the point i went and saw it again, while taking a break from Shock Stock and it was even better on the second screening. Seriously love this film, it's more nihilistic then all zombie's and Aja'a films combined, but it has a very positive message. Yes i seriously think this film is quite good. SERIOUSLY.
Awesome! That's fantastic news. Seems like this film is winning everyone over.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Grue Man Chew

I first posted this at Facebook to a response to me stating that it was...cute:

I felt it over simplified the horror genre much like Scream did. It’s a satire of a tiny portion of horror but tries too hard to pack those things that don’t fit into their narrow view of the genre. And even if it’s a satire, it’s a satire of horror and nothing more. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead and much of the work of Bentley Little are horror stories that work as satires of something else, usually social issues. Romero and Little are miles above what the markers of this film are even trying to reach. Therefore, Cabin in the Woods’ satire is superficial and less interesting. And it comes off as more of a bullhorn than a whisper or even a shout as if it wasn’t pushed into our face we wouldn’t “get it”. Besides that, it never was scary (at times thrilling though) and its humor mostly didn’t produce any laughs from me. The stuff that worked was delivered by the stoner. Contrivances are expected in art. But here too many don’t make any sense considering the reveal at the end. Why do these people have to act like the stereotypes that they naturally don’t fit into? I know that they’re meant to die in a specific order. But how does their stereotypical behavior lead them to that end? The main strength of the film is that it has very likeable characters played by very likeable actors. And I believe that’s the main reason why I didn’t think it was boring.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM
B-Movie Connoisseur

I suppose you hated Behind the Mask too?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Grue Man Chew

Haven't seen it.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris_K View Post
I first posted this at Facebook to a response to me stating that it was...cute:
Charles! Didn't realize this was you

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Resurrected

I have to ask Boris K., "I suppose u hated American Werewolf in London too?"

*** MINOR SPOILER AHEAD ****
Personally i think this movie is just what the genre needs because it is the opposite of what you said it is Boris.

Quote:
I felt it over simplified the horror genre much like Scream did. It’s a satire of a tiny portion of horror but tries too hard to pack those things that don’t fit into their narrow view of the genre. And even if it’s a satire, it’s a satire of horror and nothing more. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead and much of the work of Bentley Little are horror stories that work as satires of something else, usually social issues. Romero and Little are miles above what the markers of this film are even trying to reach. Therefore, Cabin in the Woods’ satire is superficial and less interesting.
This movie expands the horror genre by adding a sci-fi conspiracy plot within the horror plot. Cross genre films has been the wave of the future for some time, like the film u mentioned DAWN OF THE DEAD. It uses action and horror and sci-fi to be able to speak about human consumerism. Cabin in the Woods does not follow the horror conventions while at the same time holding up and acknowledging the genre as an classic tradition that has been an important part of human history. The film makers take it even further by trying to give context to the tradition by adding the brilliant Lovecraft "Ancient Ones" storyline.
Also this film triumphs where most horror films fail as u mentioned with the progression of the characters and the fact the audience has no problem backing the protaganists. Many horror films don't even connect on that level with the audience.
Spoiler Alert!
It is darker then all Rob Zombie's and Alex Aja's films combined yet it still maintains a very positive message for everyone today about friendship and trust. One of the reasons i love Peckinpah so much is this idea was the focus of all his films. that friends and trust are the most important thing in this world and more so today when the society going to shit.

This film also worked on many differents levels at scaring the audience. There was many jump scares especially with the zombies who i thought were excellent villians. They had the Myers/Vorhees assault style down to a tee, with their constant mode of attack.
Spoiler Alert!

This film has got to be one of the smartest horror films i've seen as it celebrates the genre without belittling it.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Resurrected

I went and seen it tonight. The best part for me was when I heard Ving Rhames utter the words in his deep dopey voice, "get me my legs" in the Piranha trailer before the feature. Oh, and the boobies of the slut.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Videodrome

Quote:
it celebrates the genre without belittling it.
Yes, I'm not sure that satire is the right word here. I think the term satire is mainly used to describe a work that points out flaws in something else. The Cabin in the Woods pokes a bit of fun at horror movie tropes but it also explores and venerates them, suggesting that we literally need genre stories and we need them to play out in a certain way. The fact that script tells us this while simultaneously breaking the usual genre conventions is a clever exercise in meta storytelling, with plenty of blood, jokes, monsters and surprises along the way.

I don't think The Cabin in the Woods invents anything out of thin air, but it does combine familiar elements into something that feels fresh and vibrant. I experienced it as a fun romp rather than a derisive satire or social critique, though there's certainly room to dig beneath the surface for deeper meaning if one wants to. I don't get out to the theater often, but I'm glad I saw this one before all the specifics were spoiled.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Resurrected

*tiny possible spoiler*

I can't say for sure but I thought I saw
Spoiler Alert!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draccenstein View Post
*tiny possible spoiler in faded print*

I can't say for sure but I thought I saw ....
One of the main reasons i went to see it again a day later was that exactly. Too much going on the screen(s) in many scenes and u literally have to watch the film a few times to catch all the great horror movie references. I noticed three greats one the second time i saw it, i didn't catch on the first viewiing. Also the film is a lot funnier and entertaining on the second screening because there is a lot of inside jokes and references you won't catch the first time u see it.

We could fill a whole thread on all the references.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Rue Morgue Office Manager

Keeping things spoiler-free (which isn't easy), I loved it. Plain and simple.
This is a big soppy love-letter to horror, made by folks who have a genuine love of the genre, and it shows in every frame of film and every winking reference. The writing is sharp, the performances solid and the overall tone is pitch-perfect. No condescension, no pandering, just straight-up affection for the things we "monster kids" hold dear. I don't necessarily believe it's a "re-invention" of the genre, but it reminds us WHY love these films.
Emma and I will be reviewing it in Daddy's Little Monster, but probably not for a while, as her enjoyment of the film is hard to encapsulate without spoilers. She was cheering "Hell Yeah!" once the mayhem REALLY gets going... and so was I.
Ignore the hype, stay away from spoilers on the net... and just go in blind. Whether you look at it on a meta-textual level or if you watch it for pure base-level entertainment, you'd be hard-pressed not to take even the slightest bit of pleasure from it.

PS: For those who have seen it (and dug it), you MUST buy The Visual Companion by Titan Books. The original screenplay, concept art and a crapload of stuff that didn't make it into the final cut. Horror-nerd nirvana!
"...man as part of a movement or a crowd is indifferent to me. He is inhuman. And I have nothing to do with nations, or nationalism. The only feelings I have,for what they are,are for men as individuals; my loyalties, such as they may be, are to private persons alone."

Patrick O'Brien, "Master and Commander"

http://ronniemick.deviantart.com/
Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Deceased

How to talk about this without giving away too much?

Spoiler Alert!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:09 PM

I'm going to force my husband to take me to see this tomorrow night... hopefully. He never does what I say

Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Grumpy Quatrogenarian

Quote:

I'm going to force my husband to take me to see this tomorrow night... hopefully. He never does what I say
What am I doing wrong?!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM
The Lost Addams Child

...saw it tonight. I almost never rave about a film, because most films I see disappoint on some level, or ruin everything in the trailer, or spoon feed the goodies to the audience, or something that pisses on the fun.
...This Movie Must Be seen COLD. Do NOT ruin it by blowing the surprises. This is a movie that, I kid you not, had me telling all my horror friends to go see NOW, if they hadn't already seen it. I'm just glad that my best friend told me not to let this gem slip away. I wasn't going to bother, but he and I have been film geeks since grade school, and he knows his good stuff. I trusted him, and he didn't steer me wrong. This Is, very possibly, the First film I will see more than twice in the theater, first run, ever in my life...and I'm 48.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?!
You gotta take her to the movies.
Gore-Met: Let's go get some dinner and see a movie tonight.
Mrs. Gore-Met: What about the kid(s)?
Gore-Met: Gotta babysitter all lined up. Thought I'd surprise you *winks*
Mrs. Gore-Met: Oh, honey! I love you.

Get dinner, have a few drinks, tell her Cabin in the Woods is about two young couples that buy a fixer upper in the country... a coming of age tale, and BOOM! Success

You're welcome!

But seriously, have you seen Cabin in the Woods yet? I can't believe the unanimous outpouring of positivity for this movie. I'm actually excited about a movie and feel pretty confident I'll have a good time!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Grumpy Quatrogenarian

Quote:

You gotta take her to the movies.
She doesn't take me to the movies!

My wife's idea of entertainment is hatefucking the cable remote (thanks for that, Feedback!) between reality cable shows about women who are having babies, women who have fucked-up babies, women who are getting married and need a dress, and women who argue amongst themselves incessantly.

Just listening to it makes me dizzy.

We got married and had three babies, what the hell is the appeal in all this?

I asked.

She enjoys the mindlessness of it all.

Where do you think I got all the time to post more than 7,000 messages to an Internet message board the last nine years?!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 PM

I can't really comment on that because I have a nasty reality TV obsession myself. I try not to watch, I really really do. But them crazy bitches just keep callin' me, man... it be callin' me...

Great news for my recovery plan though - my husband is taking me to the movies tomorrow night! YES \m/ Only took a couples minutes of begging. Showed him the trailer and he unenthusiastically said, "yeah, sure."

Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Grumpy Quatrogenarian

Let me put this into a clearer perspective for you.

We live in a townhouse significantly higher than it is wide. Technically, it's five stories high, but two of them are half-floors. I conservatively estimate that I have carried 4,160 full or overflowing laundry baskets up and down those stairs in the 12 years we've been living here.

I don't have to take off my other sock before I run out of digits to count the number of times she's brought beer home for me.

Can you see the level of injustice I live with?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I conservatively estimate that I have carried 4,160 full or overflowing laundry baskets up and down those stairs in the 12 years we've been living here.
What am I doing wrong!?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 PM
The Crypt Keeper

I saw it tonight and thought it was particularly fun. Without ruining it for those in the dark, it's a standard slasher movie type plot (strongly reminiscent of The Evil Dead) with a parallel conceit that functions as a meditation on horror movie conventions, the creative process of constructing a horror film and the importance of collectively viewing a horror film as a cultural ritual.

I'm not always a fan of these self-reflexive, meta-narratives (i.e. I can't stand the SCREAM movies) but this one works for me because it goes all out, it's consistently inventive and it starts as a relatively contained, claustrophobic little horror but then it explodes all over the place.

Plus, it's a great cast too. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford steal the show (and the drop dead gorgeous girls didn't hurt either).

Spoiler Alert!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:

Well....I'll have to weigh in on this one too! Great list of course but The SIXTH SENSE? Ugh. It took me years to get around to watching it but what a snooze. And while I already knew the mind-blowing twist ending, I can't help feeling I would've seen it coming from miles away - it's so bloody obvious, like trying to figure out the (HUGELY easy to figure out) killer in a Mary Higgins Clark novel. (Hint: it's the one who has absolutely no motive for wanting to commit murder nor any palpable reason for being in the story other than to serve up a surprise ending.)

But what's interesting...

The next gallery that shows up AFTER that one...

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2031...074389,00.html

p.s. don't hate me, Tank.
Darkness Personified

Quote:
My wife's idea of entertainment is hatefucking the cable remote (thanks for that, Feedback!) between reality cable shows about women who are having babies, women who have fucked-up babies, women who are getting married and need a dress, and women who argue amongst themselves incessantly.
Off topic, I sorted my wife's veiwing out by feigning romantic interest in the women involved in the progams she watches. It worked a treat.

Back on topic, do I really have to wait until July to see this? Thank the gods we got those spoiler tags.

You'll enjoy Mr. Barlow. And he'll enjoy you.
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Feedback Andrews View Post

Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:05 AM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
*** MINOR SPOILER AHEAD ****
Sir. Those were not MINOR spoilers. They were MAJOR spoilers!

Regardless, I fixed the post by inserting some of the groovy spoiler tags we came up with (that not everyone is using yet!)

But as for the ending...

Spoiler Alert!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 AM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
How could u not see that coming FB?
Oh, I DID see it coming! But I still thought it was well worked - especially with the music. Even though I knew it was gonna go wobbly, it still caught me off guard.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 AM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
And even if it’s a satire, it’s a satire of horror and nothing more. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead and much of the work of Bentley Little are horror stories that work as satires of something else, usually social issues.
I know where you're coming from and I would tend to agree (although this criticism doesn't necessarily spoil my enjoyment of the film) but I think beyond being a satire on horror movies and a meditation on slasher movie conventions, I think the film also touches upon the importance of horror films as a cultural ritual.

Spoiler Alert!

So the film seems to say something about the IMPORTANCE of horror movies, that as a society, we derive a benefit from collectively engaging in the experience....

Spoiler Alert!

So CABIN IN THE WOODS is very affirming of the horror movie as a POSITIVE form of entertainment that provides a much needed catharsis that's beneficial to society as a whole.

In that sense, it's quite refreshing and this is perhaps what LaMort refers to when he mentions the film's 'positive' message.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Feedback Andrews View Post
I say that moment was totally lifted from one of the greatest opening scenes in a horror film, DePalma's Sisters starring the brilliant William Finley.