Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Darkness Personified

I have completed By The Sword by F. Paul Wilson Ė Jack is tasked with finding a singular object but he is not alone in his quest and he must contend with mad ninja monks, yakuza assassins, cultists and the living embodiment of the adversary. This in one of the best in the series so far and thatís saying something.

I am now reading Kronos by Guy Adams Ė A new adaption of the Hammer Film Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. Though I cannot help but feel dubious about it I still couldnít resist picking this up as itís source is one of my all time favourite movies.

You'll enjoy Mr. Barlow. And he'll enjoy you.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Darkness Personified

April 2012 Reading

I have finished - Ground Zero by F. Paul Wilson Ė Startling revelations are made about 9/11. As this remarkable series nears itís conclusion I am finding each remaining novel totally gripping.

Now reading Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia Ė The sequel to Correiaís two fisted, guns blazing, pulp fiction thrill ride appears to be even more gore soaked fun as the old ones seek revenge.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Sir Loin of Beef

I've fallen under George R. R. Martin's spell, I'm afraid. Halfway through Storm of Swords and already mourning the end of the series with two books left. Gotta love The Others and their spiders.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Embalmed

Send a message via AIM to Ashley O
I just finished reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. The book delves into all the uses for human corpses that are donated to science, as well as the stages of decomposition of a body. It also describes what happens to a corpse in the mortuary, and it is full of fun, interesting, and disturbing history. This is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read, and it is has spurred me on to my next read- Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear by Jan Bondeson.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Embalmed

Taking a break from horror and reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Excellent so far! Hey, and its great to be back and see everyone here!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Darkness Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post
Taking a break from horror and reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Excellent so far! Hey, and its great to be back and see everyone here!
I read that and the books that followed a while ago after watching the TV adaptation. It's a wonderful book.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Autopsied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley O View Post
I just finished reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach.
Wasn't it great! One of my students lent it to me and I pushed all of my other reading aside once I got into it. She is a great writer.

So, just finished Brian Keene - Urban Gothic (meh) and am into Todd Keisling - A Life Transparent (so far so good) and have too many anthologies to read. I picked up David Moody - Dog Blood and hope to hell I can get to it this month.

http://nightface.ca - my book
http://www.typicallydia.com - my me
http://www.dreadfultales.com - my fun
http://www.horamorior.com - my other fun
Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Bibliognost of the Holocaust

Quote:
I just finished reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. The book delves into all the uses for human corpses that are donated to science, as well as the stages of decomposition of a body. It also describes what happens to a corpse in the mortuary, and it is full of fun, interesting, and disturbing history. This is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read, and it is has spurred me on to my next read- Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear by Jan Bondeson.
If you true tales of the strange and morbid, you might want to check out Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues edited by Loren Rhoads. She was the creator and editor of a magazine by the same name that features "stories from all ten issues in this sometimes shocking, occasionally gruesome, always fascinating anthology."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post
Welcome back, friend!

I'm finishing up Corrupts Absolutely?, an anthology of 20 stories from a bunch of awesome writers (one author's name is Cat Rambo!) about superhumans. The book basically asks the question what would actually happen if people had superpowers.

The first rule of Book Club is TELL EVERYONE ABOUT BOOK CLUB!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
The Crypt Keeper

What Are You Currently Reading?

Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Deceased

Finally got my hands on a copy of The Midnight Tour by Laymon. Loving it so far, but I'm usually not disappointed by my forays into LaymonLand.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Entombed

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Madrid Arrest View Post
Finally got my hands on a copy of The Midnight Tour by Laymon. Loving it so far, but I'm usually not disappointed by my forays into LaymonLand.
I had some fun with THE MIDNIGHT TOUR. He throws out nods to FUNLAND which cracked me up.

Iím getting kind of killed with my reading right now. I just finished NIGHTMARE CITY by Maynard Sims which started out really strong but fizzled out at the end. Currently I am working through B MOVIE REELS by Alan Spencer and CATCH MY KILLER! By Ed Kurtz, all while trying to re-read Keeneís GHOUL to prep for the film on Friday. As if all of that wasnít enough, I just got the new Bentley Little in the mail today!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:15 PM

Hey friends, looks like the "What are you reading" thread has been resurrected and stickied, so I was thinking we could move all conversation regarding current reads over there.

I do like separating by month, but I'm not sure that is really necessary. Especially since we will have monthly threads designated to the book club.

Thoughts?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Darkness Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli Hooker View Post
Hey friends, looks like the "What are you reading" thread has been resurrected and stickied, so I was thinking we could move all conversation regarding current reads over there.

I do like separating by month, but I'm not sure that is really necessary. Especially since we will have monthly threads designated to the book club.

Thoughts?
I'm OK with that I do quite often reference the monthly threads to see what people thought about a particular book so I would want the existing ones merged into the new reading thread if possible.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mark View Post
I'm OK with that I do quite often reference the monthly threads to see what people thought about a particular book so I would want the existing ones merged into the new reading thread if possible.
That's the plan! We definitely don't wanna kill the old threads. I've gone back to them many times.

I actually went back to an old thread to find that quote from you that I wanted to be my tag (under my username) It was "Dark Mistress of the Macabre" or something like that. I used it for the short-lived Grade Z boards... Couldn't find it a second time and gave up.

Do you remember by chance??

Old 04-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Darkness Personified

Quote:
Do you remember by chance??
I recall that though I think it was saucier. I'll have a look today.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mark View Post
I recall that though I think it was saucier. I'll have a look today.
It was certainly saucy

Kinda wanna replace "Dreadful Tales" with that if I can figure out what it is. Although, maybe it's too late.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Darkness Personified

Quote:
It was certainly saucy

Kinda wanna replace "Dreadful Tales" with that if I can figure out what it is. Although, maybe it's too late.
I'm afraid I have drawn a blank though I have had a good titter going through some old posts. I'm desperately racing through Monster Hunter: Vendetta so I can get onto the book of the month, though it isn't a chore to read.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Deceased

How about April publishing?

My first novella, the post apocalyptic zombie biker trip Carnage Road just cam eout on Kindle and Nook, and should be out as a trade paperback later this week or next week. I saw someone mentioned Lonesome Dove earlier, and that was my inspiration as much as Romero's films.

Just a few weeks later, Medallion Press publishes my werewolf novel The Frenzy War, sequel to The Frenzy Way. (Medallion generally gets my titles into US stores a few weeks early). And in October Medallion publishes Tortured Spirits, Book Four in "The Jake Helman Files."

What else? Tonight is the premiere of Snow Shark: Ancient Snow Beast, a fun creature feature I produced. And in July I'm producing another horror feature. In September, I'm directing a short. October is Buffalo Screams Horror Film Festival.
Books: The Jake Helman Files: Personal Demons, Desperate Souls, Cosmic Forces, Tortured Spirits; The Frency Cycle: The Frenzy Way, The Frenzy War; Carnage Road; Johnny Gruesome; Cheap Scares - Low Budget Horror Filmmakers Share Their Secrets.

Films: Slime City, Slime City Massacre, Snow Shark: Ancient Snow Beast, Undying Love, Naked Fear.

www.slimeguy.com
Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradeCCCP View Post
I had some fun with THE MIDNIGHT TOUR. He throws out nods to FUNLAND which cracked me up.
Haha, yeah, I always wondered if he would follow up the wink-wink nudge-nudge about the hairless orangutan.
I like that the more I read about Laymon, the more of his in-jokes I get. The green foil cover reference in The Stake and Finley adapting "Mess Hall" earned a grin.

And I'm about halfway through and definitely having fun. I wasn't too thrilled that I had to read through the day tour again, but that's a pretty minor complaint compared to the rest of what I've gone through.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Darkness Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Lamberson View Post
My first novella, the post apocalyptic zombie biker trip Carnage Road just came out on Kindle.
I just looked for Carnage Road on Kindle with a view to reading it this month but pricing wasn't available.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Don't Open The Window

I've been reading a ton lately. I read both of JL Bourne's zombie survival books, 'Day by Day Armageddon' and 'Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile', both of which were excellent. I also read my first James Patterson book, 'First to Die', which I thought was fantastic as well. Some pretty sick stuff in that one.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Entombed

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Madrid Arrest View Post
Haha, yeah, I always wondered if he would follow up the wink-wink nudge-nudge about the hairless orangutan.
I like that the more I read about Laymon, the more of his in-jokes I get. The green foil cover reference in The Stake and Finley adapting "Mess Hall" earned a grin.

And I'm about halfway through and definitely having fun. I wasn't too thrilled that I had to read through the day tour again, but that's a pretty minor complaint compared to the rest of what I've gone through.
I completely agree with the frustration that comes with Laymon rehashing info in THE MIDNIGHT TOUR. For me it worked out since I read THE CELLAR and THE BEAST HOUSE back-to-back and then took a long break before reading THE MIDNIGHT TOUR.

The in-jokes are absolutely hilarious. I love the subtle references to his other work but my all-time favorite is the huge nod to THE WOODS ARE DARK in ENDLESS NIGHT. If I recall correctly, I think he refers to THE WOODS ARE DARK as a trashy horror novel. Simply amazing!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Deceased

Quote:
The in-jokes are absolutely hilarious. I love the subtle references to his other work but my all-time favorite is the huge nod to THE WOODS ARE DARK in ENDLESS NIGHT. If I recall correctly, I think he refers to THE WOODS ARE DARK as a trashy horror novel. Simply amazing!
I'll have to read that one. The green foil reference in The Stake stuck out for me because he specifically said it was his second book.

Have you read Midnight's Lair? Not his strongest work, but I remember it had plenty of references. Think the writer character even says that he subconsciously got the idea for his savages (which sound a lot like the Krull) from a Flash Gordon serial.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Embalmed

I've been waiting very impatiently for a book I ordered to arrive in the mail, but after four days of suspense and misery, decided I can't wait anymore. Going four days without a book is unprecedented for me. So in the meantime, I decided to start reading Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Resurrected

John Dies at the End- David Wong : Just over half way thru it and i am loving it. Surreal Lovecraft-esque and hilarious romp.

The Insistence of Horror - Patricia Meyer Spacks: Just found this ultra rare book from the sixties. It is about the importance of the supernatural in Eighteenth century poetry. The Gothic nove lis believed to have come from graveyard poetry of the 1800's and this book is probably the best study of horror in 18th century poetry/graveside poetry if not the only one i have heard of.

Sixties Shockers - Mark Clark and Bryan Senn: Incredible book on the horror films of the sixties. Simple layout, in depth info and interesting reviews make it one of the better book on horror i bought in a while. Discovering many horror films i've never seen or heard of before.

Studies in Terror - Jonathan Rigby: Another excellent new study on horror films that is quite fun to flip through. The best thing about these movie reviews is he covers a lot of new films, right up to 2011. The worst thing is i do not agree with all his opinions, but the excellent look and lay out of the book make it another favorite new book i just purchased. This book has turned me onto a few new great foreign horror films i had never heard of like Left Bank from the Netherlands.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
...So in the meantime, I decided to start reading Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart.
Is it your first time? Love love love this book

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMort View Post
John Dies at the End- David Wong : Just over half way thru it and i am loving it. Surreal Lovecraft-esque and hilarious romp.
Can't wait to read this especially with a movie adaptation on the horizon. I've had this book for almost 5 years and something else always steals my attention.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Embalmed

Quote:
Is it your first time? Love love love this book
It is! I haven't read a whole lot by Clive Barker, but what I have read, I've enjoyed immensely. I've been wanting to read The Hellbound Heart for a while.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM

I read this years after seeing the movie numerous times and it is enthralling! Not even the most brilliant film adaptation could capture that exquisite pain and sickness

Clive Barker is a GOD! (does this mean I'm not athiest anymore?)

Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 AM
Biomechanical Frankenlady

I've *finally* started The Raw Shark Texts, which I don't even want to count how many years I've had the dang thing. I think I needed space for this type of insanity after reading House of Leaves, which still hasn't left my head.

"Everything's true. God's an astronaut. Oz is over the rainbow. And Midian is where the monsters live.
And you came to die."

Twitter

The Chicago Creepout

31 Days of Halloween 2013

31 Days of Halloween 2012

31 Days of Halloween 2011
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Embalmed

Quote:
I read this years after seeing the movie numerous times and it is enthralling! Not even the most brilliant film adaptation could capture that exquisite pain and sickness

Clive Barker is a GOD! (does this mean I'm not athiest anymore?)
No, I think you're ok... I worshipped Billy Corgan for awhile. I was confused. At least your God is worthy! I pretty much had to force myself to put the book down and go to bed last night. It will definitely be a quick read- but I want it to last at least until my other book arrives!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
No, I think you're ok... I worshipped Billy Corgan for awhile. I was confused. At least your God is worthy!
Haha We all have our skeletons. I worshipped Kurt Cobain, breifly. So I guess you were grunge like me, non? It was an angsty, confusing time

Quote:
I pretty much had to force myself to put the book down and go to bed last night. It will definitely be a quick read- but I want it to last at least until my other book arrives!
What's the book you are waiting on?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Embalmed

Quote:
What's the book you are waiting on?
Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear by Jan Bondeson.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Entombed

I have dropped everything in an attempt to re-read Keene’s GHOUL prior to the big movie premier on Friday. This is one of my favorite Keene stories with the pages dripping with 80’s nostalgia and oozing with coming-of-age brilliance. After this its back to the grindstone.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Darkness Personified

Quote:
I have dropped everything in an attempt to re-read Keeneís GHOUL prior to the big movie premier on Friday. This is one of my favorite Keene stories with the pages dripping with 80ís nostalgia and oozing with coming-of-age brilliance. After this its back to the grindstone.
It is excellent and he really struck a chord with a lot of horror fans. I hope the film lives up to it.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Talk Without Rhythm

Send a message via MSN to El Goro
Currently reading Alien Vault by Ian Nathan. Sure, a lot of the material is available on the Alien blu-ray set, but it's an enjoyably exhaustive exploration of the film with great behind the scene photos and cool inserts. Highly recommended for Alien fans.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 PM

I'm kinda in over my head with the reading lately. I'm consistently reading Zippered Flesh for Book Club, but I'm also in a neighborhood book club and I'm supposed to be reading The School of Essential Ingredients. I probably won't read that though. I joined to make friends in the neighborhood, but they read Oprah Book Club type books and I don't have the heart to tell them I'm not into that shit.

Anyway, I'm also chipping away at Greg Lamberson's Cosmic Forces which has been mocking me from my bookshelves for months. I finally cracked it open and decided to just read what I can when I can. Oh how I've missed Jake Helman. Total babe. I fantasize about him to rescuing me from a criminal mastermind, kissing me passionately as I stare into his eye, then disappearing into the night A must for fans of the series.

I am also in the home stretch of Genesis of Evil by Nile J. Limbaugh from Samhain Publishing. In short, it's about a haunted mall. People are possessed, mayhem ensues

Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Darkness Personified

I have just read Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia Ė Owen Zastava Pitt, former accountant turned professional monster hunter finds himself battling a sinister dark cult who want to sacrifice him to the old ones. Much like the first in the series this is a cracking read, loaded with great ideas and over the top action. Correia seems to be more assured with his writing here and delivers the horror goods in truckloads. Donít be put off by the size of these novels as they thump along at a terrific pace and still leave you wanting more. Iíve added Correia to my list of regular authors and I canít wait to read the third book in the series as well as The Grimnoir Chronicles and the Dead Six series. Modern pulp fiction at it's best.

Iím beginning Zippered Flesh: Tales of Body Enhancements Gone Bad edited by Weldon Burge Ė The Mortuary book of the month for April 2012 - "Monstrous transplants. Appalling amputations. Bizarre implants. Nightmarish forms of body enhancements. Disturbing, perverse, often gut-wrenching stories." Count me in.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Embalmed

I just finished Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear, and have concluded that 18th century Germany was very morbid. I also recently read the first trade of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and the third volume of Sweet Tooth. The latter is probably one of the best graphic novels I have read in a long time.

Now I'm on to The Fog by James Herbert, Swamp Thing: Love and Death, and The Killing Joke.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Sir Loin of Beef

Just recently started The Case Against Satan. Classic "precursor" to The Exorcist that's highly lauded among horror writer circles. It's a Catholic Group book, and the writing is often stilted and tragically un-hip. That said, damn if it don't work.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I just finished Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear, and have concluded that 18th century Germany was very morbid. I also recently read the first trade of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and the third volume of Sweet Tooth. The latter is probably one of the best graphic novels I have read in a long time.

Now I'm on to The Fog by James Herbert, Swamp Thing: Love and Death, and The Killing Joke.
I've been interested in reading Sweet Tooth, but haven't had a chance. I usually read comics in spurts when I get burned out on reading novels. Haven't done that in too long.

Oh, Swamp Thing, how do I love thee... let me count the ways For a while it seemed like I was re-reading that series once a year.

If I was going to pick a comic book character I want to have sex with it would be Swamp Thing because you're basically trippin' acid, but organically Badass.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Cinexploiter

The entire run of Ultimate Fantastic Four. I started with Ultimate X-Men, which I loved and next will be the entire Ultimate Spider-Man collection.

Exploitation, Sleaze, Grindhouse, Sexploitation
and Horror News & Reviews
Facebook|Twitter
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Embalmed

Quote:
I've been interested in reading Sweet Tooth, but haven't had a chance. I usually read comics in spurts when I get burned out on reading novels. Haven't done that in too long.

Oh, Swamp Thing, how do I love thee... let me count the ways For a while it seemed like I was re-reading that series once a year.

If I was going to pick a comic book character I want to have sex with it would be Swamp Thing because you're basically trippin' acid, but organically Badass.
You should definitely read Sweet Tooth... it has the perfect blend of charm and horror, endearing yet disturbing. And the art is beautifully done.

I usually manage to read a couple comics a month, during and between reading novels. Actually I should say I limit myself to a couple a month, otherwise I'd be constantly broke . Right now I'm sticking to the aforementioned, as well as Walking Dead , which I'm almost caught up with.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Autopsied

I'm reading Sarban's The Sound of His Horn. It's good and interesting so far, so I'm intrigued about how it might end.

After that it's probably on to some Stephen King. Either The Wind through the Keyhole or Under the Dome.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Janz View Post
I'm reading Sarban's The Sound of His Horn. It's good and interesting so far, so I'm intrigued about how it might end.

After that it's probably on to some Stephen King. Either The Wind through the Keyhole or Under the Dome.
Welcome to the fold, Jon! Good to "see" you here

Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Autopsied

Quote:
Welcome to the fold, Jon! Good to "see" you here
Thanks, Meli! Awesome to be hear.

I'm leaning toward The Wind through the Keyhole, by the way. Loving the title more and more as I think more about it...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Grue Man Chew

Half way through Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Post-Apocalyptic Scavenger

Felt like something apocalyptic, so am ready Oryx & Crake by Margaret Attwood) Haven't read any of her stuff before, but will always give any author's take on the apocalypse a try! (Also reading Eat, Sleep, Poop - THE HORROR!)

The Collection
Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 AM
There's No More Room In Shell

I just started Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale. Mojo Lansdale has never steered me wrong.

After that I have Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello lined up.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Entombed

Yesterday, started Handling the Undead by John Lindquist and next is part two of Del Torro's The Strain trilogy.

31 days of Halloween 2012
Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Embalmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Von Gangrene View Post
Yesterday, started Handling the Undead by John Lindquist and next is part two of Del Torro's The Strain trilogy.
I need to get Handling the Undead on my bookshelf... I was very impressed with Let the Right One In. I want to read The Strain trilogy also, but for now I'm settling for the comic. It's one of those book series that I have on my list but keeps getting pushed farther down by other stuff.